June 9, 2009

because everyone loves a good reading list.

luckily for me.  there is a delightful used bookstore about 10 minutes from my place.  unlucky for my budget, i have collected several (and by several i mean WAY too many) new/old books since January.

here is a sampling.

i'll start with a classic ....  ... Agatha is always a wise choice, but i've learned that i prefer her books "on tape."  nothing better than some mysterious man with a deep voice reading each chapter to you.  even better if it's a long road trip!  :)

don't bother with ...  ... i was WAY unimpressed.  do however go pick up My Sister's Keeper before the movie comes out.   actually really good.  the author always deals with some sort of question of ethics in modern society - very interesting. 

these are guilty pleasures ....   ... who knew i'd love sci-fi space aliens or vampire vs. werewolf sagas?

i love pictures into other people's lives,      especially within different cultures.  Jhumpa Lahiri does that quite beautifully.  although i'd have to say i liked her short stories in Interpreter better.

another not so great ...  ... i just didn't get it.  supposed to be funny (i think), but just mostly sad.  maybe a re-read is in order.
            
other solid selections ....        ... i was happy with each of them in their own ways.

and these are on the docket next ....       


did i mention that this ...  ... is the only book i arrived in DC with???  yes ... i know, i have a problem.  BUT ..... my library is about 15 books happier now!

sooo ... what are YOUR recent reads?

10 comments:

Sarah Humbach said...

Ooooh. Great Blog BTW. I have many! I think I will copy you and post a similar blog prob tomorrow. It's so much easier to show the pic of the book rather than list. So... with much love I tell you: to be continued... check my blog! Love you book nerd!

joanna said...

I finally read My Sister's Keeper. It was definitely worth my time. You and your reading books that make you a better person/ make you think. Someday I will be like that. Maybe. :)

cosas del mar said...

"The Road" by Cormac McCarthy :) There is a movie coming out about it this fall...it is kind of gloomy but is very redemptive also!

Pascha said...

how much longer are you in DC for??
are you coming to ok for Ben's wedding?
i miss you

xoxo erika said...

I love that posting! How much fun. I admire your frequent posts. And I LOVE Agatha Christie! How much fun. I just finished Sense and Sensibility. So good. Still working on the song for you...xoxo

Spano said...

I just finished Anna Karenina, by Mr. Leo Tolstoy. I'm also reading Tuck, which is the third book in a historical fiction series about Robin Hood by Mr. Stephen Lawhead.

Sarah said...

you clearly are still in dc. i need deets and a visit. soon.

Blaire said...

this is one of the many reasons why i love you michelle mcbeath

RachelDenbow said...

I have only just finished the Twilight series, the first non-children's books I've read in a long, long while, and now feel like I need to fit a few more in before the end of the summer.

This will be my starting point. Thanks!

Anonymous said...

wow, you read a lot! i'm impressed!