"Medicine for the soul." Inscription over the door of the Library at Thebes
I've been meaning to get this blog up for awhile now. Somehow it ended up being the end of February before I realized it - 2 months overdue isn't so bad, right?
Visually representing my library this past year ..... these are the books that I have enjoyed in 2009.
And side note: anyone else picking up on the themes of my reading habits? the Orient, Vietnam, Sudan, international, India, India, India, France, international, US, Poland, Afghanistan, Haiti, Poland, US. 2 of 15 are based in the States. wow. see where my mind/heart wanders to.
Murder on the Orient Express - Agatha Christie
Classic Christie. I never attempt to figure out the mysteries, I just like going along for the ride. Although, i do prefer listening to her books on CD. I love the British narrators with the deep, ominous voices. Nothing better for a long road trip.
The Things They Carried - Tim O'Brien
Absolutely stunning/shocking view into the Vietnam War. Not sure why I picked it up, but worth it.
What is the What - Dave Eggers
The account of one boy's childhood in Sudan and subsequent escape to Ethiopia/Kenya/US. Part autobiography, Eggers attempts to retell Valention Achak Deng's story - at times blurring the lines between reality and a world of war and absolute terror that seems all too surreal.
Good News About Injustice - Gary Haugen
Gary's first book tells of his vision for restoring public justice systems for those who need it most. Birthed out of his experiences investigating the Rwandan genocide, he delves into the basic issues/questions of injustice in our world - And what the Biblical mandate says about what we are to do with such injustices. Great introductory look into the modern human rights movement.
The Namesake - Jhumpa Lahiri
I'm finding that I love stories that are simply stories. That give glimpses into other worlds. Other cultures. Others' lives. This is simply that - the story of an Indian family and their lives as immigrants to the US.
The Interpreter of Maladies - Jhumpa Lahiri
Same as above. But short stories. Most are semi-depressing. But those are generally the ones I like the best. Ha. :)
In Spite of the Gods: The Rise of Modern India - Edward Luce
Again - more India. Non-fiction this time. Fantastic look into India as a modern state - technology, foreign relations, religion, economics, culture. It came highly recommended to me and I would pass on the same recommendation. In an age of increased globalization, India plays a key role in more ways than we might know.
By the River Piedra, I Sat Down and Wept - Paulo Coelho
This might be long, but I have to include an excerpt. Generally Coelho's works are a bit bizarre, but there are always such good truths found there that I'm lenient with the weird stuff. This is a bit that has most recently resonated:
"I observed the woman I had been up until then: weak but trying to give the impression of strength. Fearful of everything but telling herself it wasn't fear - it was the wisdom of someone who knew what reality was. Putting up shutters in front of windows to keep the joy of the sun from entering - just so the sun's rays wouldn't fade my old furniture.
I looked at the Other, there in the corner - fragile, exhausted, disillusioned. Controlling and enslaving what should really be free: her emotions. Trying to judge her future loves by the rules of her past suffering.
BUT LOVE IS ALWAYS NEW. Regardless of whether we love once, twice, or a dozen times in our life, we always face a brand-new situation. Love can consign us to hell or to paradise, but it always takes us somewhere. We simply have to accept it, because it is what nourishes our existence. If we reject it, we die of hunger because we lack the courage to stretch out a hand and pluck the fruit from the branches of the tree of life. We have to take love where we find it, even if that means hours, days, weeks of disappointment and sadness.
The moment we begin to seek love, love begins to seek us.
And to save us."
The Art of Travel - Alain de Botton
Beautiful and unique book on travel. And the joy of traveling. And we all know I love that.
A Heartbreaking Work of Staggering Genius - Dave Eggers
Hmm - split opinions on this one. It's basically Egger's memoir - but it's so offbeat and unusual (and in a small way - disturbing) that it threw me for a loop. I don't really know what I was expecting, but it's one I may have to read again to fully grasp.
The Zookeeper's Wife - Diane Ackerman
Absolutely wonderful story of a family who used the zoo they owned in Warsaw to aid in the Polish war resistance efforts during World War II. Fascinating and true story - I specifically looked up the Zabinski family when I visited the Holocaust museum here in DC and found a excerpt on their lives in the war heroes section. Such bravery.
A Thousand Splendid Suns - Khaled Hosseini
There are no words. I thought The Kite Runner made me cry. This took me to a whole other level. A must-read. MUST.
Mountains Beyond Mountains - Tracy Kidder
Great. Especially post-Haiti earthquake. Follows the work of Paul Farmer, a Harvard anthropologist and physician who's devoted his life to the poor in the mountains of Haiti. Farmer is certain to be at the fore-front of the rebuilding efforts with his organization Partners in Health.
The Boy in the Striped Pajamas - John Boyne
*sigh. A Christmas present from my mother because she loved the movie so much. I haven't seen the movie yet, but the book is beautiful. Simple. And moving. I just fell in love with the two little boys. Such an interesting way and perspective to tell the story of the Holocaust.
Fast Food Nation: The Dark Side of the All-American Meal - Eric Schlosser
Hmmm. One of those that you've read and wished you'd hadn't. Makes you feel gross and uninformed and scared to read any of those other food books ever again (Food, Inc., Omnivore's Dilemma, etc.). We shall see.
Not pictured: Half of the Twilight series. Not because I'm ashamed (necessarily), but because I do not own the actual books ... and City of Thieves by David Benioff. Took it home over Christmas, but a great story of two boys during the siege of Leningrad.
That's it ... here's to 2010!
.jpg)


3 comments:
Yes... Dave Eggers. I love him precisely because he is so bizare. Read "You shall know our velocity" soooo weird I put it down and thought to myself... I really didn't understand this at all... but for some strange reason I am soooo inspired and in awe.
Also, I am LOVING that you are LOVING Coelho. As far as I'm concerned... he is a literary genius!! Nothing else needs to be said.
Third- I Love you Michelita! Reading The Art of Travel right now. You are a book worm Goddess, and I am so happy for all of the suggestions!!!
You have inspired me to read some of these books Michelle. I love to read and now that I have miss Kennedy I dont get to do it as much as I would like. I know you are a smart cookie and this book may not be up your alley but "The Help" is a very easy, and wonderfully written read about pre-civil rights movement maids in Alabama. Hope you are doing well.
Looks like you've been a busy reader! You still in DC? If so, what church are you at? I've been reading a lot of Mark Dever's stuff this semester and wondered if you had ever been to his church (Capitol Hill Baptist) He is pretty hard core... I love it though.... he has some crazy thoughts on church that I think are brilliant and extremely biblical....
On another note, what've you been up to lately? I know you were/are working for IJM, but I haven't heard from you in a while. What have you been doing?
Post a Comment