November 11, 2008

speaking of overspiritualizing ….

So here’s the story …. When God Give You 3 Boars

(I think this sounds like a good book title … I will file it away for my future literary career.) 

I’m driving to work last week.  Approximately 5:45am (yes, I work the early shift).   I’m driving sort of fast because I’m still out on the country roads.  And on the side of the road, NO LIE, I swear I see an animal walking on its hind legs toward me.  In my utter amazement, I do not think to slow down … thus I pass it and I am left driving to town wondering if I was hallucinating.

 

Fast forward one day …. 

I’m on that same road.  In my head, I’m thinking, maybe I’ll see the crazy walking animal again.  In fact, maybe if I pray hard enough, God will let me see it just one more time.  (funny how we think these things up, huh?)  Either way … no luck. 

I go on my merry way, not really SUPER disappointed, but in the back of my head I’m thinking that I really would see something.  Either way, I kind of just forget about it.

 

UNTIL, that is, I see 3 boars on the side of the road.

Three.  Big.  Wild.  Furry.  BOARS!!!!

 

Is that weird to anyone else?  Or is it just me?

And because the Lord can use ANYTHING to teach a lesson or two (or because we tend to like to find spiritual things in just about everything, either way) … I realized a few things later that day.

How often is it that we ask Him for something pathetic when He wants to give us something super cool? 

I know … it sounds silly, but it’s true.  We ask for a little, and as our Father, He really does want to give us more than we could even imagine!  3 boars??1?  I didn’t even know those things still existed (ok, so technically I knew this, but not in the middle of Tyler!)

Man, here I was asking to see the stupid, semi-imaginary walking animal and He displays His creative with 3 boars roaming on the side of the road.  Pretty cool.

Anyway …. So how’s that for over-spiritualization?  :) 

4 comments:

Ashley said...

i don't mind the over-spiritualization. in fact, i kind of like it. thanks for keeping up with my blog and for your encouragement. i will be sure to keep you posted. my application is almost done so i will be sending that in very soon. and then, who knows. one day i am ready to hop on a plane and the next i just want to stay in my bubble of comfort. although, those comfort bubble days seem to be getting less and less. other than that, things are good.

i hope things are well with you, friend.
keep me posted!

Spano said...

Thanks for the in depth comment on my blog. And, you saw a boar walking on its hind legs? Or was the boar a bonus? If so, what was walking around all man-beast like?

Anonymous said...

excuse me! I made a comment on your blog several weeks ago from my blog, and then you ask shannon If I have a blog? Come on Mitch! And yes, I am still holding down the xanga in addition to this new blog! Take that! haaa! I hope life is treating you well! we miss you!

Spano said...

Wait, so are we talking hallucination? There was no hairy walking animal?

Annnnd, I don't know about the beggars you've been around, but I've found many to be choosers. At least, those in America, and I'm American.