August 7, 2008

i didn't write this ... but it's good. i'm not a "down with the church" girl most of the time (or try not to be), but the things that cause me to not like church are the things i strongly dislike instead of the church itself. make sense? :) jenny does a better job of explaining ....
_________________________________________________________

Why I Strongly Dislike the Church


I tried to explain to my roommate Liz the other day why I don't like church, and I didn't do a very good job of it. Aside from the point that I get extremely antsy if the sermon goes beyond 45 minutes, (unless of course the pastor is a stand-up comedian or my heart is being majorly set-free by the Lord). Some may say I'm a product of Gen X or Y or whatever generation it is that has been overly exposed to digital entertainment, fast food and electronic wi-fi oblivion and how that doesn't allow my mind to sit still long enough to enjoy a good long sermon.

......

All that to say, I don't believe in the Church of America. The church that puts on a nice suit, sits on a hard pew and believes that it can do whatever it must to other nations in order to keep itself safe and cozy because, well, it's America.

Once you've traveled to other countries and actually lived with the people there, you realize that God isn't American. Nor is He white, or republican or vegetarian or Baptist or Pentecostal or Texas or fire and brimstone. You can't recognize God with your physical eyes. You can only see him with your heart. And until I learned to shut off my biases and deny my freedom to speak, did I hear the sweet song of the Lord in an African orphan girl named Sarah. Or in a 13 year old Indian orphan named Brij. His full name is Brijmohan. Make special note of him. I have no doubt he will someday be a household hero in bringing the Kingdom to India and the Middle East. I saw Jesus in Pastor John Swanger from Scum of the Earth. I love hearing him worship. Each soulful waiver of his rich voice is layered with the immense knowledge of victory and love the Lord has had in his life. And, I came to know the Lord in my own savage undoing. When I came to surrender my life to Him, religion that was already laced in my growing-up came on full force to steal my Spirit. Through a series of events that seemingly broke my heart and shattered my dreams, the Lord saved me from living my life from a hard pew on Sunday mornings. In the manner of the Upside-Down Kingdom, He turned my world upside down so that I might land upside right, feet hitting the pavement, and running fast with a fierce grip of freedom.


I'm learning that God doesn't come to shatter us necessarily, but rather the false things that hold our hearts captive. God only moves things out of the way that we might be free; and live life fully alive.

So, why do I strongly dislike church? Because church buys and sells the lie that Christianity looks and acts a certain way, in turn, holding its members in chains of religiosity. It promotes that its patrons should fall in line, and should they not, be put on the street and labeled as secular heathens.And in that way, the church has given herself over to the enemy to be used as another means to shut down the hearts of the Sons and Daughters of the Kingdom.



What does it mean for you to be fully alive?




Lord, open our eyes to the reality of You. May Your Heavenly Kingdom and Your Greatest Will take over earth. Have Your ultimate way with us.

1 comment:

cosas del mar said...

AMEN! I love hearing of others who are discontent with the church in america, because it gives me hope that one day things will change. someday the Lord will break us, in order for us to see His real glory and freedom.