August 2, 2008

Stuff Lately:

  • In the course of a week, I almost made the decision to go to India for 3 months.  Crazy to say, but true.  I was asked to consider leading a short term trip to New Delhi …. Either way, as it turns out, I’m not going.  Kind of cool how it worked out though … I prayed that the Lord would either give me a huge LITERAL “YES” banner in the sky or a huge “NO” through a closed door.  Needless to say, my face still hurts a little from the slammed door.  It just wasn’t right.  I felt it and so did they.  I’ve kind of been in a place lately where I’ve been looking for the next big thing … and while it would have been exciting to jump on the next plane to India, I know that’s not what the Lord is trying to teach me right now.  So yeah, that’s that. 
  • I had a mom tell me the other day that her 12 year daughter is currently in the “stage” of trying to figure out who she is.  The mother then mentioned that hopefully this “stage” would only last for a few years.  I did my best to field this conversation, but it honestly took me for a loop.  And the more that I’ve been thinking about it over the past few days, the more it makes me frustrated.  A bit angry even.  Maybe it’s because I’m still right there in that “stage” 12 years later … but part of me wishes I could go back to that conversation and just scream “it doesn’t happen like that!!!”  ok … maybe not scream, but at least be forceful enough to get my point across.  Isn’t life, when done correctly, a long process of self discovery?  Granted, I might get to 30 and know everything there is to know about me, but so far, I haven’t really hit that peak.  Everyday it’s something different it seems … what I like, what I don’t like, what I’m good at, what I like to read and eat and listen to, what my dreams are and what I want to do with this life of mine, how I’m wired, how I act/react, what my strengths/weaknesses are …. And on and on and on.  “Who I am” still being solidified in my head/heart.  I thought I knew all of this when I was 15 - and then 18 - and then 21.  But here I am 3 years later and it’s like I’m still delving in deeper and deeper.  And for all I know, another 3 years will pass and this will all seem like shallow waters.  But I guess the question I have is this …. If we are constantly growing and changing throughout the course of our lives, why do we kid ourselves into thinking that we should have it all figured out by fill in age here?  “Know thyself.”  Sage ancient greek advice … but much more complex than it sounds.
  • If the rumors are true, I could not be ANY more excited about the prospects of 90210 (America’s favorite zipcode) being re-made this Fall.  I saw an old rerun this morning on the Soap channel …. Classic, just classic.  Pretty shallow final entry, but I accept that.

No comments: